Thursday, July 17, 2008


Sue Kidd’s Secret Life of Bees follows a young girl yearning for stability in a complicated life style. In the beginning of the novel Kidd uses imagery to help the reader visualize. For example, she describes the swarm of bees in the character’s room: “During the day I heard them tunneling through walls of my bedroom sounding like a radio tuned to static in the next room, and I imagined them turning the walls into honeycombs with honey seeping out for me to taste”. The author wanted to show the readers how the character feels about her mother and her mother’s death: “That night I lay in bed and thought about dying and going to be with my mother in paradise.” Kidd also wanted to show that the character wanted to share her experience with the bees with not only herself but with others: “Still, the sight was a true spectacle. Suddenly I couldn’t stand not showing it off to somebody, even if the only person around was T. Ray.” Using different images to help the reader experience the characters life, Sue Kidd tries to write as if the reader was there.

1 comment:

Dr. Kefor said...

Nice work today, Talia!